The Sound of the Stars
by Alechia Dow
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Release Date: February 25, 2020
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Fantasy
Can a girl who risks her life for books and an alien who loves forbidden pop music work together to save humanity?
Two years ago, a misunderstanding between the leaders of Earth and the invading Ilori resulted in the deaths of one-third of the world’s population.
Seventeen-year-old Janelle “Ellie” Baker survives in an Ilori-controlled center in New York City. Deemed dangerously volatile because of their initial reaction to the invasion, humanity’s emotional transgressions are now grounds for execution. All art, books and creative expression are illegal, but Ellie breaks the rules by keeping a secret library. When a book goes missing, Ellie is terrified that the Ilori will track it back to her and kill her.
Born in a lab, M0Rr1S (Morris) was raised to be emotionless. When he finds Ellie’s illegal library, he’s duty-bound to deliver her for execution. The trouble is, he finds himself drawn to human music and in desperate need of more. They’re both breaking the rules for love of art—and Ellie inspires the same feelings in him that music does.
Ellie’s—and humanity’s—fate rests in the hands of an alien she should fear. M0Rr1S has a lot of secrets, but also a potential solution—thousands of miles away. The two embark on a wild and dangerous road trip with a bag of books and their favorite albums, all the while making a story and a song of their own that just might save them both.
Why you should pick this one up (Especially if you’re a YA lover!)!:
- One of the coolest things about this novel is how it references the pop culture we love today and just how important it is to us. The book discusses how books and music give us an escape and a place to live where we can feel at home in words and melodies.
- THE COVERRRRR
- Janelle is a strong MC who does what she does to help those around her to have a momentary escape from the horrors and monotony of the Ilori invasion
- YA book references!!!!
- Discussion about how book signings are cool (because they are!!)
- As my reading knowledge goes, I’ve never seen a book with this concept before. Aliens ridding us of all the things that give us an escape from life’s struggles and how humans and even some of the aliens themselves are going around that.
- 1 copy of THE SOUND OF STARS by Alechia Dow
- US Only
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Alechia Dow is a former pastry chef, food critic, culinary teacher, and Youth Services librarian. When not writing about determined black girls (like herself), you can find her chasing her wild child, baking, or taking teeny adventures around Europe.